Why do Sunbury patients seek amalgam filling removal?
Smile in Style offers mercury-safe amalgam filling removal at our offices in Sunbury and Moonee Ponds. The demand for these procedures continues to increase, and patients cite many different reasons. These are among the most common:
- Mercury – When you got those fillings, your dentist probably called them “silver.” He or she might not have mentioned that the name refers to the colour. The material is amalgam, a metal alloy that contains about 50 percent mercury.
- Tooth discoloration – Amalgams may be silver-coloured when they are placed in your mouth. However, like most metals, they become corroded and tarnished over time. This can stain the surrounding tooth structure.
- Allergies – Although the most common metal allergy is nickel, some people are allergic to various other metals. Amalgam fillings may cause a reaction in patients with an allergy to mercury, tin, copper, or silver.
- Tooth damage – Virtually any material expands when heated, an effect known as thermal expansion. In tooth enamel and dentin, thermal expansion is very low, meaning the reaction to temperature is minimal. Amalgam has a higher expansion rate, and transmits temperature rapidly. Therefore, the filling expands and contracts more than the tooth, potentially fracturing the enamel.
- Unnatural appearance – Teeth are white, and amalgam ranges from silver coloured to nearly black, depending on how tarnished it is. Composites and porcelain restorations can be coloured to precisely match your tooth enamel, for an exceptionally natural appearance.
We follow a strict protocol to prevent mercury exposure during the amalgam removal process. Fillings are replaced with beautiful, bio-compatible tooth-friendly restorative materials such as porcelain or composite resin.
If you are considering replacement of amalgam fillings, visit Smile in Style for a consultation. You can reach our Moonee Ponds office at 03 8400 4104, or our Sunbury office at 03 8001 6021 to schedule an appointment or book online at www.smileinstyle.com.au.
Back to Holistic Dentistry Page