The SMART (Safe Amalgam Removal Technique) choice for Moonee Ponds
The safety of “silver” fillings has come into the spotlight in the last decade. According to a 2006 survey by Zogby International analytics firm, over 70 percent of adults did not know that 50% of amalgam fillings are made of mercury. As the public becomes more educated about mercury, there is growing interest in amalgam removal in Moonee Ponds, Sunbury and other cities across the country.
What you should know before having amalgam fillings removed
Having a filling replaced sounds like a rather simple process. The old one is drilled out and a new one put in its place. Unfortunately, that simple process can become toxic when mercury is involved. Mercury vapor, as well as dust and particles, may pose a risk to you, the dental team and ultimately the environment – unless they are properly collected and disposed of safely.
The SMART solution.
Dr. Rose is a member of the IAOMT (International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology). As such, he is trained in health-focused, biocompatible dentistry including the comprehensive amalgam removal protocol known as SMART. The name is an acronym, meaning Safe Mercury Amalgam Removal Technique.
The principals of SMART include:
- An amalgam separator is utilised.
- The room air is filtered.
- A source of fresh, uncontaminated air (oxygen) is provided for the patient to breath to minimise the risk of breathing mercury vapour.
- A dental rubber (non latex) dam is used to seal the patient’s mouth, protecting soft tissues and preventing the swallowing of amalgam particulates.
- The amalgam filling is removed in chunks with cool water to minimise mercury vapour.
- All captured toxins are properly disposed of, keeping them out of the landfills and water treatment systems.
Contact our office for more information. To schedule an appointment, you can reach our Moonee Ponds practice at 03 8400 4104 or our Sunbury practice at 03 8001 6021 or book online at www.smileinstyle.com.au
Back to Safe Amalgam Removal Page