Caring for a chipped or broken tooth in Sunbury
If you brush, floss and see your dentist regularly, you will likely have a healthy, cavity-free and disease-free smile. You probably feel safe from dental problems. After all, common conditions such as decay and gingivitis don’t happen suddenly. However, there is one serious oral health problem that can literally happen in an instant. That is a broken or chipped tooth. A sports injury, falling face-first or even biting into your favourite meal can damage your pearly whites before you even realise what’s happening. Now you’re left with a broken smile and wondering what to do about it. The answer is, call Smile in Style right away.
Treatment options Regardless of how minor or major the tooth damage is, it’s important to see a dentist promptly. When you visit Smile in Style, we will begin with an examination and then recommend the best option to restore the appearance and health of your tooth. Depending on the severity of the damage, we may recommend:
- Dental bonding – A tooth coloured resin material is applied to the tooth and then shaped and hardened. This is a great option for minor chips and it can be completed in one visit.
- Porcelain veneer – Small chips and fractures can often be covered with a porcelain veneer. This is a good option if you wish to make cosmetic changes to the affected tooth. To change the colour or appearance of your entire smile, all visible teeth will need to be treated with veneers.
- Inlay or onlay – If a large piece of the tooth is broken off, a custom-made inlay or onlay may be used using our CEREC technology in one visit. These restorations are made from high-strength porcelain and are shaped to fit the tooth, thus preserving undamaged portions.
- Crown – A badly broken or weakened tooth may need a porcelain crown. It covers all exposed surfaces, restoring and protecting the tooth. We use the CEREC technology for crowns in one easy visit.
- Root canal treatment – If the tissue inside of the tooth is damaged, root canal treatment may be necessary. This procedure removes injured dental pulp (soft tissue) from within the tooth. The procedure is usually followed with a dental crown using CEREC technology for strength and protection of the tooth.
Even if your chipped tooth does not hurt, a restoration is important. Any damage to the enamel can lead to decay if not repaired. Call us at 03 8400 4104 (Moonee Ponds location) or 03 8001 6021 (Sunbury location) to schedule an appointment.
Back to Cosmetic Dentistry Page