Gum disease causes and prevention for the over 65 age group in Moonee Ponds Victoria
Gum disease prevention is an important focus at our offices in Moonee Ponds, Victoria and Sunbury, Victoria. Individuals over the age of 65 are statistically more likely to develop gum disease, tooth decay, and other dental problems. Problems often result from the cumulative effects of poor hygiene in youth, untreated disease and years of plaque build-up. Additionally, dental health can suffer as a side-effect of other conditions.
Any of the following will put an elderly person at high risk for dental problems:
- Medication side effects – Many prescription drugs cause dry mouth, which leaves you more susceptible to infection and tooth decay.
- Hormonal imbalance – Menopausal women are at risk for desquamative gingivitis, which is a form of gum disease associated with changes in hormones.
- Tobacco and alcohol – Any kind of substance abuse can take a toll on the immune system, and increase the risk of gum disease.
- Systemic disease – Rheumatoid arthritis, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, cancer and other systemic health conditions have been linked to periodontal infection.
- Nutritional deficiencies – Reduced appetite, difficulty preparing meals, digestive problems and other factors contribute to poor nutrition. Vitamins, antioxidants, and a well-balanced diet are important to oral health.
- Declining mental or physical health – Oral and overall health are intimately linked, so poor health tends to increase dental problems in general. Additionally, oral hygiene habits often decline with age for reasons such as decreased mobility and memory problems.
Brushing twice a day, flossing daily, healthy eating and increased water consumption can help combat the risks. Regular dental care, customised to your needs, is essential for keeping oral health issues under control.
Visit Smile in Style for professional teeth cleaning, preventive care, oral hygiene guidance and natural oral hygiene products. Call our Moonee Ponds office at 03 8400 4104 or our Sunbury office at 03 8001 6021 or book online at www.smileinstyle.com.au
Back to Hygiene Dentistry Page