Smile in Style uses holistic dentistry principles to offer safe amalgam removal
Holistic dental offices like Smile in Style use techniques, products, and technologies that promote patients’ oral health and overall wellbeing. We are mindful about the dental tools and materials introduced to our offices in Moonee Ponds and Sunbury. Amalgam is one of the dental materials that Dr. Terry Rose and the dentists at Smile In Style do not use. They also consider that the responsible removal of this material needs to be carefully done so that the patient, the practitioner, other staff and the environment are not harmed.
A proud mercury-free and mercury-safe practice
Dental amalgams are a mix of metals that are most commonly used in fillings to repair cavities. The amalgams are silver-hued, though silver is just one metal that is formulated to make these fillings. Amalgams also contain copper, tin, and mercury. In fact, amalgam fillings can contain around 50% mercury by weight and mercury is a known toxin. Knowing this, our holistic practice only places non-metal, mercury-free fillings made from tooth-colored ceramics and composites (a type of resin that contains small, glass-like particles).
Additionally, our commitment to holistic dentistry transcends our status as a “mercury-free” practice. We are also a “mercury-safe” practice, which means that we have invested in specialised equipment and protective wear to minimise mercury exposure during the process of removing amalgam fillings. Mercury can be released during the removal process in the form of vapours and particulate matter. When mercury is released in this manner, it can potentially present a threat to our patients, our staff and dentists and our environment. Our entire team is on the same page and have been Safe Mercury Amalgam Removal (SMART) certified by The International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology. Just a few of the many safeguards that we have implemented include:
- Chlorella drink is given prior to treatment and as a post treatment mouth rinse. Chlorella helps to bind with mercury and prevent mercury absorption.
- The use of protective barriers and coverings, masks, and eyewear to prevent physical contact with mercury
- Use of Rubber Dam (non latex) to prevent the patient from swallowing dental amalgam
- Generous use of water to rinse particles away and also lowers the temperature of the amalgam filling, reducing the amount of mercury vapour released.
- Specialised, high-volume suction to remove amalgam particles from the mouth.
- Continual application of external, non-contaminated air or oxygen, which prevents patients from inhaling mercury vapours.
- Techniques to minimise drilling and mercury exposure by precisely removing amalgam in large chunks.
- A purification system to cleanse the air of mercury vapours.
- An amalgam separator device helps keep contaminated waste out of our waterways and promotes safe, non-hazardous waste disposal.
We could go on and on about how Smile in Style is an authentic, holistic, mercury-safe and mercury-free practice. However, we encourage you to check us out for yourself. To book a consultation, Phone 03 8400 4104 for our Moonee Ponds office or 03 8001 6021 to reach our team in Sunbury.