Protect your kids’ smile with these tips from a dentist
Parents around the world agree – every child has a beautiful smile. At a young age, the appearance of your child’s smile is often more about the way it lights up the room and less about perfect alignment and whiteness. However, keeping his or her mouth healthy is a critical job for parents. Many parents call the Smile in Style office with questions about how to best care for their child’s mouth and when they should schedule an appointment with the dentist. Here, the Team at Smile In Style offers several tips for parents:
- Start early. Even before the first tooth breaks through the gums, parents should be thinking about dental health. We suggests wiping the gums with a soft cloth until the baby has teeth; then you can use a very soft brush to ensure that food particles and bacteria are removed.
- Make it fun. When your child is old enough to be a part of the brushing process, be sure to make it fun. Try singing a song while brushing or letting the child pick out the toothbrush and toothpaste. Also, be sure to be a good example. Let your child see you brushing and flossing your teeth frequently and enjoying it!
- Stay involved. It may be tempting to send your child to the bathroom with a toothbrush and hope it is done right. However, it can be challenging for most kids to reach the back teeth or really brush their teeth thoroughly. Let your child give it a try, but then be sure to check their work and repeat it if necessary.
- Schedule regular visits with your dentist. Visiting the dentist is important for children. Not only does it provide an opportunity for the dentist to examine your child’s teeth, it also allows your child to begin to feel more comfortable in the dentist’s office.
- Think about nutrition. Parents know that sugar filled candies, soft drinks and juices aren’t good for their child’s health, but they may not realise that it can be harmful to the teeth as well. Furthermore, many foods that seem like good options are packed full of sugar. Consider swapping water for fruit juice and crunchy vegetables for candy bars or sweets.
Taking care of the health of your child’s teeth doesn’t have to be intimidating. Dr. Rose and his entire team are available to answer questions and provide information. To learn more, call the Smile in Style office today. We have two convenient locations in Sunbury 03 8001 6021 and Moonee Ponds 03 8400 4104.
Back to Children’s Dentistry Page