What to expect: Tooth implant procedure in Sunbury
The most secure, convenient, and permanent solution to a single missing tooth is a ceramic crown supported by a single dental implant. When complete, the restoration looks and feels like a natural tooth. Because the new tooth is independently supported, there is no need to alter any remaining teeth.
Implant placement is a multi-phase, highly individualised treatment.
- Consultation – We begin with a discussion about the procedure and an examination to determine if you are a good candidate. Gum disease, bone loss, or other specific issues may need to be addressed prior to placing implants.
- Planning – We use digital x-rays and high-tech guided surgical planning for precision placement and an efficient procedure.
- LPlacement – A small post, made of zirconia or titanium, is placed in the jawbone with minor oral surgery. Many patients are surprised by the tiny incision size and minimal discomfort during healing.
- Integration – As the bone heals it fuses to the implant, creating a strong bond that mimics a natural tooth root. In most cases, we will wait until this process is complete before proceeding. Don’t worry; you will be provided with a beautiful partial denture or other temporary solution so that you can keep smiling.
- Restoration – A second, very minor, surgical procedure may be needed to uncover the implant beneath the gum tissue. Once it is accessible, the abutment and crown are affixed.
For most patients, healing is a comfortable process free of complications. We will provide you with complete post-surgical care instructions, and you are encouraged to ask questions and voice any concerns you may have. It is important to clean the area as instructed, and follow any specific advice given by your dentist. If you are a smoker, you will be advised to stop before the treatment begins as smoking impedes healing and increases the failure rate. If you are looking for a great way to fill the gap in your smile, and in your confidence, visit us for an implant consultation. Please call 03 8001 6021 (Sudbury) or 03 8400 4104 (Moonee Ponds) to schedule your appointment.
Back to Implants Page