The importance of Mercury Free Dentistry

Mercury Free Dentistry services from dentist in Mooneponds

Since the 1800s, teeth have been restored with a silver-coloured compound called amalgam. Amalgam is an alloy (i.e. a mixture of metals) and is comprised of about 50 percent liquid mercury.   Mercury is extremely toxic to living cells, being second only in toxicity to radioactive materials. Dental amalgam has traditionally been a long lasting, relatively easy to use, cheap material to restore teeth with. Amalgam fillings release mercury vapour constantly. Factors which increase the release of toxic mercury vapours are acidic foods or drinks, hot foods or drinks, grinding your teeth, brushing amalgam fillings, having your teeth cleaned or … Continue reading