Helping Sunbury sleep better with advanced dentistry
Smile in Style is known for providing healthy, high quality preventive, restorative, and cosmetic dentistry in Sunbury and Moonee Ponds. However, our services extend beyond caring for teeth. Dr Rose and his team offer a variety of advanced treatments, including sleep apnoea therapy.
Signs of apnoea
OSA (obstructive sleep apnoea) is a sleep disorder that involves blockage of the airway, causing interruptions in breathing. Unfortunately, many people with apnoea are yet undiagnosed. The symptoms include:
- Snoring, which is usually louder when you sleep on your back
- Choking or gasping for air during sleep
- Frequent headaches, especially in the morning
- Feeling sleeping or even falling asleep during the day
- Moodiness and irritability
- Difficulty concentrating, short term memory problems, and other cognitive impairment
- Waking with a sore throat or dry mouth
A person with apnoea experiences fragmented sleep, but rarely awakens completely during an episode. Therefore, snoring and gasping are often first observed by the sleep partner.
How you can breathe easy and sleep well
Without treatment, OSA can negatively impact your health in many ways including increased risk for stroke or heart disease. Common medical therapy is CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure), which forces air through the collapsed airway. Dental treatment is generally an oral appliance that holds the airway open.
The benefits of oral appliance therapy include:
- There is no machine, which means no noise, and no electrical cord
- The appliance is custom made for a comfortable fit
- There is nothing covering your face
- Travel is simple with a device small enough to fit in your pocket
- Oral appliances are designed to maintain optimal position of the jaws.
If you think that you might have sleep apnoea, ask Dr. Rose about your diagnostic and treatment options. Call our Moonee Ponds office at 03 8400 4104 or our Sunbury office at 03 8001 6021 and schedule a consultation or book your appointment online at www.smileinstyle.com.au
Back to Sleep Apnoea Page